The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936 as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. In 1944, it was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The year 1964 was an important landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was declared Deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act (UGC), 1956.
Since its inception, the Vision of the TISS has been to be an institution of excellence in higher education that continually responds to changing social realities through the development and application of knowledge, towards creating a people-centred, ecologically sustainable and just society that promotes and protects dignity, equality, social justice and human rights for all. The TISS works towards its vision through:
Over the years, the Institute has made consistent contributions to civil society and the development sector through its education, research, field action and extension. Today, the TISS has earned recognition as an institution of repute from different Ministries of the Government of India; various State Governments; international agencies such as the United Nations; and the non-government sector, both national and international. A high degree of freedom and autonomy shape the positive work ethos and creativity in the Institute facilitating strong linkages between education, research, field action and dissemination.
Postal Address: V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar, Mumbai 400088
Telephone Nos. : 91-22-2552 5000
Fax : 91-22-2552 5050
URL : http://www.tiss.edu