The University has been incorporated for the purposes, among others, of imparting education in Arts, Letters, Science and the learned professions and of furthering advancement of learning, the prosecution of original research, with power to appoint University Professors, Readers and Lecturers, to hold and manage educational endowments, to erect, equip and maintain University colleges, libraries, laboratories and museums, to making regulations relating to the residence and conduct of students and to do all such acts as tend to promote study and research.
HISTORY AND PRESENT INFRASTRUCTURE
The Panjab University has a long tradition of pursuing excellence in teaching and research in science and technology, humanities, social sciences, performing arts and sports. The University supports excellence and innovation in academic programmes, promotes excellence in research, scholarship and teaching and is committed to attracting and supporting the best students and faculty who excel at teaching and research. For more than a century, it has served various societal needs with distinction. The glorious traditions of the University established during the period of more than a hundred and thirty years of its long service to the nation since its inception in 1882 at Lahore (now in Pakistan) are a source of inspiration for the present generation of faculty members and students. By virtue of its age, experience, achievements and philosophy, the Panjab University is a University of national character and stature and draws both faculty and students from all over the country and abroad. Its faculty includes some of the most distinguished scientists and academicians. It continues to attract celebrated scholars who interact with the faculty and students. Over the years, the reputation of the Panjab University has grown into one of innovative teaching, research and community outreach.
After the Partition in 1947, the University was constrained to function for almost a decade without a campus of its own. The administrative office was located at Solan and the teaching departments functioned from Hoshiarpur, Jalandhar, Delhi and Amritsar. In 1956, it was relocated at Chandigarh. Pierre Jeanerette designed the red sandstone University campus under the general guidance of the legendary Le Corbusier. Till the re-organisation of Punjab in 1966, the University had its regional centers at Rohtak, Shimla and Jalandhar and its affiliated colleges were located in the States of Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh and the Union Territory of Chandigarh.
With the re-organization of Punjab, the University became an Inter-State Body Corporate catering to the newly organized States of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab and the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Gradually, the colleges of Himachal and Haryana were affiliated to the Universities in the respective states and the Panjab University was left with the affiliated colleges in the Union Territory of Chandigarh and some parts of Punjab. The Consultative Committee of the Government of India approved, in 1976, the ratio of 60:40 for the sharing of the maintenance deficit of the Panjab University by the Central Government (through the Chandigarh Administration) and the Government of Punjab, respectively. Initially, the Government of Punjab restricted its share of maintenance grant to Rs.16 crore, but subsequently revised it to Rs.20 crore, irrespective of its actual share on the basis of the above stated ratio. To re-examine the ratio of funds between the Government of India and the Government of Punjab as well as to determine the optimum ratio of funds for the Panjab University, a new internal ministerial Consultative Committee was constituted by the Government of India. The Committee recommended that the Central Government may fund the University through the UGC after adjusting the funds provided by the Government of Punjab and the surplus from the self-financing courses. The annual budgeted expenditure and income of the University for the Financial Year 2012-13 amounted to Rs.302.83 crores and Rs 149.24 crores, respectively.
The Panjab University, with its 75 teaching and research departments besides 15 centers/chairs for the teaching and research on the main campus at Chandigarh, has more than 192 affiliated/constituent colleges spread over Punjab and Chandigarh besides Regional Centres at Muktsar, Ludhiana, Hoshiarpur and Kauni. In addition, there is the Vishveshawaranand Vishva Bandhu Institute of Sanskrit and Indological Studies (VVBIS&IS) at Hoshiarpur.
The Panjab University is located in Sector 14, with a newly developed South Campus in Sector 25. The total land area is almost 550 acres.
The layout of two parts of the University has been conceived to meet the academic, administrative, sports / recreational, residential and other requirements of a growing University. To make it self-contained, infrastructural facilities like its own Shopping Centre, Health Centre, Bank, Post office, Swimming Pool, Gymnasium, Botanical Garden, well maintained parks, Open Air Theatre, Guest Houses, Faculty House, Seminar Complexes, Alumni House, Community Centre and School have been provided.
The main University Campus in Sector 14 has fairly well-marked zones like teaching, administrative, sports/recreational and residential. A cluster of prominent buildings like the Gandhi Bhawan, the Fine Arts Museum, the University Library and the Student Centre form the hub of social interaction. The three-winged structure of the Gandhi Bhawan is the most artistic building, known as the pride of the University. The Fine Arts Museum, with its series of small galleries arranged around a courtyard, each gallery having a hyperbolic paraboloid roof (umbrella shaped), is not only an architectural but a structural marvel as well. The University Library, another key building, of the Sector 14 Campus is an RCC framed structure with red sandstone veneers. The Student Centre with its circular base and a ramp pulsating around its cylindrical body is another land mark building.
The South Campus of the Panjab University in Sector 25 encompasses an area measuring approximately 175 acres. The layout of this part of the Campus was basically initiated as an extension of its existing residential complex in the main campus. Later on, Institutes like the University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET), Dr. Harvansh Singh Judge Institute of Dental Sciences, the University Institute of Applied Management Sciences (UIAMS), Emerging Areas in Sciences, a new block for Basic Medical Sciences, and hostels were added.
The seventy-five Departments and fifteen Centers/Chairs on the campus and the four Regional Centers are grouped under the Faculties of Arts, Science, Languages, Law, Education and Fine Arts, Business Management and Commerce, Engineering and Technology, Medical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Dairying, Animal Husbandry and Agriculture. Most departments have their own specialized libraries, and the working period runs for at least 180 days in a year.
Dynamic in its approach to make this institution of higher learning a globally competitive leader, the University has achieved many recognitions.
(Estd under the Panjab University Act VII of 1947- Enacted by the Govt of India)
Sector 14, Chandigarh-160014,
Tel. No. 0172-2784397, 0172 253 4818, Toll Free : 1800-180-2065