Established in 1973, Kumaun University consists of three campuses at Almora , Nainital and Bhimtal; 3 5 affiliated government colleges; and almost equal number of affiliated self-financed private institutions spread across the Kumaun region. The total area covered by the university thus far is an impressive 160 acres. The beautifully designed colleges blend in perfectly with the surrounding architecture and complete the breath taking scenery. In order to cater the technical, professional and vocational education, another campus of the University is being developed at Bhimtal. Special emphasis is placed by Kumaun University to uphold the motto of excellent teaching and high quality research. In the residential and affiliated campuses, both teaching and research activities are equally important factors that support the curriculum and contribute to the student's learning habits.
Kumaun University, a residential-cum-affiliating university, was established on 1st December 1973 under the Act of State Legislature (U P State Universities Act), and is a permanent member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
Kumaun University has been awarded FOUR Stars status by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
Kumaun University is an ISO 9001-2008 certified institution, which follows International Quality Management System.
Kumaun University is spread over in three campuses (DSB Campus, Bhimtal Campus and SS Jena Campus) with an area of 5,31,373 sq. mt. (160 acres) and built-up area of 3,00,000 sq. mt. The location of the university in Uttarakhand offers excellent research and teaching due to its landscape which is on undulating high ground. There are many herbs, shrubs and trees as well as rocks and minerals constituting eco-systems that can be studied. The university is known for its research and teaching in Geology, Forestry, Ecology, Particle Physics and Chemistry, Economics and Management as well as boasts of several centres that offer interesting research. Furthermore it continues to raise awareness regarding a variety of topics including economic resources, medicinal plants, environment, development of tribes, human rights and symmetries and conservation. Kumaun University has been imparting quality education in the disciplines of Arts (Languages, Literatures, Social Sciences, and Humanities), Commerce & Management, Education, Law, Medicine, Sciences, and Technology under the Clause 12 (B). The University Grants Commission (UGC) granted full recognition to the University on June 30, 1984. Ever since its inception, Kumaun University has always held a place of pride among the state universities. Over the years, by innovating and making several structural changes in its functioning, the University has given a new direction and dimension to the higher studies in this region. The University was granted permanent membership of the Association of Indian Universities and was awarded the special rank of Four Star by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2000. The main focus of the University has been to include the courses which are relevant and facilitate the learners in developing skills for easy job access.
• To be the fountainhead of new ideas and innovations.
• Excel in teaching and research with the vision of establishment of a university of excellence.
• To nurture young and talented human resource for the service of Indian society and all round development of the Kumaun region.
• Advance the community of learning by engaging in scientific research and artistic creation.
• Provide a high quality educational experience to students in diverse learning environment, promoting the values and institutions of democracy that prepare students to lead lives of personal integrity and civic responsibility in a global society.
• Prepare the next generations of skilled and ethical professionals to compete in a diverse world market.
• Promote a campus environment that welcomes and honours women and men of all races, creeds, and cultures.
• Partner with industry and government for economic, social, and cultural development, and Contribute to improving the quality of life.
• To create an environment that shall foster the growth of intellectually capable, innovative and entrepreneurial professionals, that contributes to the growth in partnership with industry and develops and harnesses it for the welfare of the nation and humankind.
• Strive for excellence in the creation and dissemination of knowledge, promoting the holistic development of students and preparing them to lead lives of personal integrity, civic responsibility and service to the society.
• Creation of a learning environment that promotes the values and institutions of democracy and helps the students to imbibe the values, which our country has always stood for.
• Building and promoting a system, which is accessible to people of all faith, races, creed and culture.
• Galvanizing the academic fervor and creative instincts of the youth, strengthening the interface of academia with the government and industry so that growth can be planned, progressive and purposeful.