The school increased out of the perform of Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, the great Islamic reformer and statesman, who in the consequences of the Native indian War of Freedom of 1857 felt that it was important for Muslims to gain knowledge and become involved in the community life and govt services in Native indian. Raja Jai Kishan helped Sir Syed in developing the school.
The British decision to substitute the use of Nearby in 1842 for govt employment and as the terminology of Legal courts of Law caused deep anxiety among Muslims of the sub-continent. Sir Syed saw a need for Muslims to acquire expertise in the British terminology and European sciences if the group were to maintain its community and governmental power, particularly in North Native indian. He began to get ready foundation for the development of a Islamic University by starting educational organizations at Moradabad (1858) and Ghazipur (1863).His purpose for the organization of the Technological Society in 1864, in Aligarh was to convert European works into Native indian languages as a prelude to get ready the group to accept European knowledge and to teach scientific disposition among the Muslims. The extreme desire to improve the community conditions of Native indian Muslims led Sir Syed to post the regular, â€˜Tehzibul Akhlaqâ€™ in 1870.
In 1877, Sir Syed established the Muhammadan Anglo Asian Higher knowledge in Aligarh and designed the school after Oxford and Arlington colleges that he had frequented on a trip to Britain. His objective was to build an excellent in track with the British knowledge program but without limiting its Islamic principles. Sir Syed's son, Syed Mahmood, who was an alumnus of Arlington prepared a offer for an separate school to the â€˜Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental Higher knowledge Finance Committeeâ€™ upon his return from Britain in 1872. This offer was implemented and consequently customized. Syed Mahmood ongoing to perform along with his father in beginning the school.
It was one of the first simply residential educational organizations set up either by the govt or the community in Native indian. Over the years it gave rise to a new educated class of Native indian Muslims who were active in the governmental program of the British Raj. When viceroy to Native indian Master Curzon frequented the school in 1901, he recognized the perform which was carried on and called it of "sovereign importance".